Most recently I took my car to a mechanic for routine maintenance, tune-up, and this is where the nightmare begins. Now I know some will say why didn’t you take it to the dealership, but let’s face it if the repair isn’t under warranty you could be looking at greater out of pocket cost. I’ve used this mechanic in the past, he has a great reputation and he’s affordable, his communication skills could definitely use some work, but hey I’m paying for a service. A two hour job turned into my car being at the repair shop for 2 ½ weeks. There was an accident that occurred during the repairs which required them to do more repairs. This got me to thinking, this repair shop had been my only option for so long and I’d gone to them on a referral, now that I was questioning our relationship, what would I do if I needed to find another mechanic, how would I find one? Below please find tips on how to search for a mechanic. This is especially for the ladies.
- Ask for referrals from other women. 9 times out of 10 another woman will give you the details regarding their experience with a mechanic. Good or bad this will give you an opportunity to gather a list for investigation.
- Investigate! Although your sista friend may have recommended this person you never know if you will have the same experience. Go online and check for reviews, find out if they are certified by the Better Business Bureau, check their listed certification for the repair shop and their mechanics. Find out if they specialize in your brand of car.
- Take the shop for a test drive. An oil change can be a great way to experience a repair shop for the first time. Also check to find out if the shop does free diagnostic testing. Most of the shops I have been to recently offer this as a free service and will quote you for the repairs needed. If there is a fee associated with the diagnostic testing this is normally based on the brand of the car and can range from $50-150 (approximately)
- Ask about the shops warranty policy. What happens if they cause a repair issue (learned this lesson myself). Do they look for products that are warrantied? Do they offer a warranty if there is an issue with the vehicle after the repair within a timeframe? These are all questions that will save you money.
- Convenience. Personally I have one vehicle so it’s important for my repairs to get done in a timely manner so that my vehicle is returned as soon as possible. Also the availability of the shop, what time do they open, when do they close, are they opened on weekends? I’m a working mom I need a certain level of convenience to keep my life organized. (All moms need this!)
Regular car maintenance is a must, don’t just wait until you need a huge repair, getting regular maintenance on your vehicle will help cut cost in the long run. Also, don’t be afraid to ask questions and get clarification on those questions if needed. A car is a big investment and you need to be aware of how to take care of your investment.
What are some things you look for when searching for a services? How important are reviews or recommendations. I’m currently looking for a new mechanic I need to have a back-up.
In the last few months I have had the opportunity to really embrace the new newness of Just One Hot Mom! After deciding to take a sabbatical from ElevationsRadio.com and to pursue writing, podcasting, and coaching with full force, I am the happiest I have been. My goal, passion, and purpose is to empower maternal figures in all walks of life, to meet them where they are and encourage them to level up. I think we can all use a person standing in our corner cheering us on and telling us “get yo life” when we need to hear it. It is the desire of my hear to be that.
Currently I have available a few coaching options, click here to see ht one that may work for your or a friend. I know that I have the unique ability to connect with people, especially maternals, that allows me insight into who you are and who you want to become. Working together as a team to figure it out will be life changing for us both. Third party perspective can be eye opening and allow you to see a vision for your life you may have never dreamed of. I get excited at the thought of helping others become who they are called to be.
I know there is a maternal figure out there who can use my assist. At this time she may not have the means or know how to reach out to me. This is where you can help. Once a month I will offer The She Deserves Coach Approach! This is a free coaching service for a maternal figure nominated. Send an email to email@example.com to nominate a maternal figure, tell why she should win the free session. I will need her contact information to schedule the 1 time, 1 hour session. You may not nominate yourself. I will only select 1 person a month, picked on the 15th day of the month.
If you are wondering how I’ve impacted my community so far check out the video below for a few testimonials. I look forward to working with you.
We know that there are plenty of options out there to quench your thirst! Juice, milk, smoothies, pop/soda, and WATER! I think water gets a bad wrap with our kids because it has no flavor. If you are having a hard time getting your children to drink water hopefully these tips will help you!
- Infused Water! water infused with fruit is a great way to get kids to drink. The fruit gives it a little flavor, captures their attention with the beautiful colored fruit floating around. Itʼs health benefits include keeping them hydrated, detoxing their bodies, and improving their mood (we could all use a little mood improvement)
- Make it a game! Give each family their own water container each morning. Everyone starts with a filled water container and the first family member to finish their container throughout the day wins! Remind them they donʼt have to do this in one sitting but to remember to drink from the container throughout the day. At dinner crown the winner. Iʼd suggest making an actual crown and allowing that person to pick dessert or special treat.
- Lead by example! Letʼs face it our kids copy us. If they rarely see you drinking water then why should they. Explain to them why water is important to your body. Then ask them to sit down and share a cold glass with you.
- Because I said so! This is one tip I rarely use but it is in my parental arsenal. There are just those days where everything is a struggle including getting your kid to drink water. Weʼve all been there those days that make you question parenting. I like to call this move my Draw 4, if you’ve never played Uno you wonʼt understand. Itʼs the you have no other choice but to do it! Just drink the water so you can go play, have tablet time, or just not be bothered by mom. Like I said I rarely use this one, but note you have it!
- Creative thinking! Iʼve seen many water drinkers create encouraging gallon jugs. As they drink the ounces away there is a note there pushing them toward the finish line. You could do this for your kid. Design the jug or container specifically for them and help them reach their water drinking goal.
We know how important it is to drink water and itʼs health benefits. Plant the seed of health with your family today!
SPOILER ALERT! If you watch “This Is Us” and you are not caught up on all episodes, STOP right here. There will definitely be a few revealing things referenced here. Let’s get into this. In the last few episodes before break we see Beth and Randall in their relationship, we get how they met, how life has been since they met and then up to this point with all the arguing they have been doing recently. This note right here is about our BFF Beth and how she has compromised her entire relationship with Randall and she is finally all out of compromise. In a heated argument she says they have been having the same argument their entire relationship and she chose to be the bigger person and cater to him. WOW, can you image always being the person to give in, to never really feel heard but to keep the peace you just go with the flow. I know too many women who feel this way. We tend to just want to make everything great for everyone else and we never consider how that will make us feel. Then one day like lava building in a volcano we explode and whoever is in the area of that flame better just watch out. How dare they not realize all the sacrifices we have made for them, canceled plans, missed out wine time, hair that looks crazy, but at least little Johnny had cupcakes for his class that he told me about at midnight. We can be real life super heroes sometimes. As I watch Beth have her moment I realize there is someone to blame and it’s not Randall or the kids, or all of the other people she put before herself, the only person to blame is Beth. So guess who I’m going to blame for your identity crisis???? You got it, YOU!
Don’t roll your eyes sista! Come on in the upper room, grab your tea cup and allow me to pour. Have you ever just looked at yourself in the mirror and described who you are? Not just the wife, mother, sister, daughter, friend, co-worker, but who you really are. We get so caught up in the role we play in other people’s lives we tend to forget to show up in our own. We tell ourselves that someday we will but someday never manages to come and then like Beth one day we just cut loose like a tornado destroying whatever is in it’s path. We feel justified in letting loose because we held back so long, this moment was inevitable, right?! Wrong! We owe it to ourselves to be true to who we are, we owe it to ourselves to demand time for ourselves, we owe it to ourselves to heal, to laugh, to say no, and to just be. We forget that we have to show up for us! Instead of doing that we play roles in the lives of those around us and I’m sure sometimes it’s roles we are happy to play. When we overextend ourselves and we cater to others needs without thinking about how it will impact who we are, we lose ourselves. This right here is the greatest form of Identity Theft!
Guess what? You can reclaim who you are. You may have lost your way from you for a moment, but you have the road map back to who you were or who you want to become. It always amazes me that I can carry the tools to make Nanekia the best version of herself. It is my divine destiny to walk this life fulfilling my purpose and you are to do the same! We don’t have to keep playing roles we don’t want to play. We can rewrite the script and allow for us to lovingly, actively pursue our greatest purpose. Right now look in the mirror and say I’m coming for you, I’m claiming joy in your life, I love you! Now, I’ll be honest when you start to show up for you some people will get mad, they will not be use to this new found love you have for you, they won’t recognize you. That’s okay because you may not recognize you but you will learn and so will they.
How do we cope with identity theft? Well, just like the bank tells us, stop access to all of your funds, stop all the access to you. Do not give yourself so freely to others if you cannot afford too. If you cannot afford to put energy or effort into a situation then don’t. Now I can hear some mom or wife, “my family comes first”…I get that, but if you are not right with you how will you be of any service to them. Think about if you have ever flown what does the safety video tell you?! I’ll wait…SECURE YOURSELF FIRST! There is a reason for this, if you try to help someone else first and they don’t know how to help you, you risk losing consciousness and not being secured at all. If you take the time to secure you first you can help those around you and who knows the number of lives you might save. Secondly determine what you do and don’t like. Personally I’ve spent enough time doing things I did not enjoy for people all because I wanted to be considered loyal, a good person, worthy of them. Listen (read) carefully, you are worthy even if they never acknowledge your worthiness. You do not have to live a joyless life, in joyless moments. Be honest with your people, I don’t like baseball honey, I like spending time with you but I hate baseball, Johnny you should have told Mommy you needed cupcakes earlier, it’s midnight and the stores are closed, I would love to babysit for you, but this is my only day off and I need to be with me. You not only teach people how to treat you, but you teach yourself how to treat you. Know your worth and don’t be afraid to flex it!
Do you feel like you have lost yourself? Do you feel like life is overwhelming and you may never figure out who you are? My friend I bring you good news, you can begin right now with the decision you make for yourself today to reclaim who you are! You have the power to tell a different story where we see you happy and healthy loving you and those around you. Reclaiming your identity starts with you! How are you going to do it?
If you’d like to hear more on this topic tune in to the Just One Hot Mom Maternal Self-Care podcast, “Identity Thief” Episode 3. Don’t forget to Like, Share, & Subscribe!