We know that there are plenty of options out there to quench your thirst! Juice, milk, smoothies, pop/soda, and WATER! I think water gets a bad wrap with our kids because it has no flavor. If you are having a hard time getting your children to drink water hopefully these tips will help you!
- Infused Water! water infused with fruit is a great way to get kids to drink. The fruit gives it a little flavor, captures their attention with the beautiful colored fruit floating around. Itʼs health benefits include keeping them hydrated, detoxing their bodies, and improving their mood (we could all use a little mood improvement)
- Make it a game! Give each family their own water container each morning. Everyone starts with a filled water container and the first family member to finish their container throughout the day wins! Remind them they donʼt have to do this in one sitting but to remember to drink from the container throughout the day. At dinner crown the winner. Iʼd suggest making an actual crown and allowing that person to pick dessert or special treat.
- Lead by example! Letʼs face it our kids copy us. If they rarely see you drinking water then why should they. Explain to them why water is important to your body. Then ask them to sit down and share a cold glass with you.
- Because I said so! This is one tip I rarely use but it is in my parental arsenal. There are just those days where everything is a struggle including getting your kid to drink water. Weʼve all been there those days that make you question parenting. I like to call this move my Draw 4, if you’ve never played Uno you wonʼt understand. Itʼs the you have no other choice but to do it! Just drink the water so you can go play, have tablet time, or just not be bothered by mom. Like I said I rarely use this one, but note you have it!
- Creative thinking! Iʼve seen many water drinkers create encouraging gallon jugs. As they drink the ounces away there is a note there pushing them toward the finish line. You could do this for your kid. Design the jug or container specifically for them and help them reach their water drinking goal.
We know how important it is to drink water and itʼs health benefits. Plant the seed of health with your family today!